Faculty Resource Links
- American Association of University Professors
- Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
“An independent policy and research center with a primary mission ‘to do and perform all things necessary to encourage, uphold, and dignify the profession of the teacher and the cause of higher education.'”
- Campus Copyright – Rights and Responsibilities – A Basic Guide to Policy Considerations [pdf]
A very helpful document produced by representatives of the Association of American Universities, the Association of Research Libraries, the Association of American University Presses, and the Association of American Publishers.
Consortium of higher ed institutions that facilitates the introduction, use, and access to and management of information resources in teaching, learning, scholarship, and research.
- MIT OpenCourseware
“A free and open educational resource (OER) for educators, students, and self-learners around the world.”
A publication of MIT course materials.
- National Teaching and Learning Forum (NTLF)
Subscription-based newsletter about teaching.
- The Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC)
Developed by the Association of Research Libraries, SPARC is an international alliance of academic and research libraries working to correct imbalances in the scholarly publishing system by stimulating the emergence of new scholarly communication models that expand the dissemination of scholarly research and reduce financial pressures on libraries. The SPARC web page includes an extensive section of resources for authors, which helps scholars understand ways to retain more of the rights to their journal publications.
- Tomorrow’s Professor Mailing List
“Desk-top Faculty Development, One Hundred Times a Year”
Sponsored by by the Stanford Center for Teaching and Learning as part of a partnership between the American Association for Higher Education, the National Teaching and Learning Forum, and the Stanford Center for Innovations in Learning.
- World Lecture Hall
Contains links to pages created by faculty worldwide who are using the Web to deliver class materials.
UNC Chapel Hill Resources
- American Association of University Professors Chapter at UNC-Chapel Hill
- Alert Carolina
Web resource for the University community — the go-to source for information in an immediate life-threatening or serious situation involving campus safety.
- APPLES Service-Learning Program
“Assisting People in Planning Learning Experiences in Service.” Includes a “For Faculty” page.
- Association for Women Faculty and Professionals
“To create and maintain a hospitable environment for women faculty and professionals on campus.”
- bFree Blackboard course-content extractor
Free program, offered by ITS, that permits exporting course materials from Blackboard so that they can be shared with others.
- Black Faculty and Staff Caucus
Strives to celebrate the achievements, culture, and efforts of its membership.
- Carolina Center for Public Service
“Strengthens the University’s public service commitment by promoting scholarship and service that are responsive to the concerns of the state and contribute to the common good.”
- Carolina Women’s Center
The Carolina Women’s Center pursues gender equity at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Through education, advocacy, and interdisciplinary research, we build bridges and enhance the intellectual life and public engagement mission of the university.
- Center for Faculty Excellence
Created in 2008 to assist our faculty members across the spectrum of their professional development: research, teaching, and leadership.
Access to many important university resources, including electronic class rolls.
- Counseling and Wellness Services “For Faculty” Page
How to help students with counseling needs.
- “For Faculty and Staff” Page at UNC.edu
Good list of UNC faculty and staff resources and links.
- Honor System
Includes instructions for faculty on working with the University’s honor code.
- Information Technology Help Desk
Computer help of all kinds for the UNC community.
- ITS Teaching and Learning
Collaborates with the University community to advance pedagogical outcomes through the integration of instructional technology.
- Library’s “Documenting the American South” Project
“A digital publishing initiative that provides Internet access to texts, images, and audio files related to southern history, literature, and culture.”
- Institute for the Arts & Humanities
“Helps the best faculty to get better and develops future generations of excellent teachers.”
- Managing Your Files: Guidelines for Faculty
Guide written by the staff at University Archives helps faculty comply with state public records laws and determine what records would be valuable additions to University Archives.
- Office of the Provost
Contains lots of important information for faculty, including a list of important university policies.
- Office of Institutional Research and Assessment
“Supports the individuals and groups who make policies and decisions affecting the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill by supplying data and information, conducting policy analysis, coordinating campus assessment/evaluation activities, and facilitating planning efforts.”
- Office of Sponsored Research “Research Toolkits”
Includes information on identifying funding sources and developing grant proposals.
A learning management site available to University faculty.
- University Compliance Line (or call 1-866-294-8688)
Make a confidential report to help the campus community identify and address compliance concerns about financial, research, HIPAA or Environment, Health and Safety matters on campus in a positive, constructive environment.
- University Gazette Faculty/Staff News Page
From the University’s News Services office.
- UNC System “Information for Faculty and Staff” Page
- University Ombuds Office
“A safe place where all Carolina staff, faculty, and administrators are welcome to come and talk in confidence about any workplace issue, problem, or dispute. Our office supplements, but does not replace, the University’s formal channels, such as the grievance policy.”
For Retired Faculty
Faculty Governance-Related Sites
At UNC Chapel Hill
At Other UNC System Campuses
- Appalachian State University, Faculty Senate
- East Carolina University, Faculty Senate
- Elizabeth City State University, Staff Senate
- Fayetteville State University, Faculty Senate
- North Carolina A & T University, Staff Senate
- North Carolina Central University, Faculty Senate
- North Carolina State University, Faculty Senate
- UNC-Asheville, Faculty Senate
- UNC-Charlotte, Faculty Governance
- UNC-Greensboro, Faculty Senate
- UNC-Pembroke, Faculty Senate
- UNC-Wilmington, Faculty Senate
- Western Carolina University, Faculty Senate
- Winston Salem State University, Faculty Senate
At Some of Our Peer Institutions
[You can see a complete list of our Board of Governors-approved peer institutions at the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment here.]
- Duke University, Academic Council
- University of California-Berkeley, Academic Senate
- University of California-Los Angeles, Academic Senate
- University of Florida, Faculty Senate
- University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign, Academic Senate
- University of Maryland, Faculty Senate
- University of Pennsylvania, Faculty Senate
- University of Pittsburgh, University Senate
- University of Southern California, Academic Senate
- University of Texas-Austin, Faculty Council
- University of Virginia, General Faculty Council
- University of Washington-Seattle, Secretary of the Faculty
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Academic Staff Governace
News & Information
North Carolina Government Resources